Saturday, June 20, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Thom Young

An interview with Thom Young, co-author of Fallen.

 


Hi! Welcome to Zigzag Timeline. Can you tell us about your background as an author?  

I decided to really start writing books and trying to get my stories published about ten years ago, although I had written many things like poetry and short stories as a kid.  I published a novella called Laredo Down on Kindle and did pretty good then after that I had several of my novels hit #1 Kindle Free in various categories. I use a publisher today out of Houston, TX that specializes in poetry chapbooks and has done some limited edition copies of my novels.

What got you into writing?

I don’t think that I ever got into writing although as I mentioned I tried to get things published about ten years ago. Well as most writers know, things aren’t that easy and soon my mailbox was filling up with rejection slips but I kept writing and a story of mine finally got accepted in a small literary magazine five years later. It was a big deal at the time and then things picked up from there with my work appearing in various publications like 3am Magazine, Word Riot, and the outstanding poetry broadside publisher 48th Street Press.

What was the first idea you had for your book, and how did the story grow from there?

I knew that I wanted to write a murder mystery and at that time I was really into movies that the viewer could interpret for themselves like a David Lynch film.  I wanted to try that with a novella and that’s how my story Laredo Down came together. At that time the Kindle didn’t even exist but I held onto my story and published it myself five years later and the response was very positive. Basically, being a Texan I wanted to write a story about something taking place there and I tossed in Mexico as well so that’s how it started.

Among your characters, who's your favorite? Could you please describe him/her?

With my new book Fallen (The Fallen Saga, Book 1) my favorite would be the main character Julie Anderson. She is the self loathing teenager that one might call a ‘drama queen’.  She smokes cigarettes and drinks too much coffee and thinks her life is horrible although it really is pretty good, well until she meets the fallen angel Nick Landers. Julie wears black and mainly ignores her parents the kind of thing you would think most teens that listen to The Smiths or The Cure would do.

What's your favorite scene from your novel? Could you please describe it?

I think when the main character Julie Anderson realizes that one of the fallen angels Tyler Garrett can shapeshift into a crow.  That’s something I always wanted to add in one of my books and trying a paranormal romance I thought you have to throw in some shape shifting.  I didn’t realize this was a big deal until I researched it and there were all these books on men turning into lions that were number one on Amazon and I thought really?

What's your favorite part of writing? Plotting? Describing scenes? Dialogue?

Most of my work is more dialogue based but I never really have a set plan although I have an idea that comes together as I start writing.  I sometimes love writing the ending first that would probably be my favorite but most importantly to me is to know when to get away from writing.

How long does it take you to write a book? Do you have a writing process, or do you wing it?

I use to churn out stories and books like a factory and an editor once asked if I was more than one person because I submitted so much to him.  Now I take my time and I rarely use a writing process although I kind of have an idea of what I want and go from there.

What is it about the genre you chose that appeals to you?

I have written in numerous genres like horror, comedy, western, and noir type things.  On the new one Fallen I had the opportunity to work with a talented UK writer Emily Clarke. I had never done a paranormal romance and she was a big help for me because honestly I always thought that genre was hokey and now after writing one myself I have much respect for the authors that write paranormal romance because for me it was the most difficult one to write.

Are there any books or writers that have had particular influence on you?

I think as a writer you need to be an avid reader and there so many that I enjoy but my favorites are Charles Bukowski and Hesse.  I also like Hubert Selby and John and Dan Fante.

Did you ever surprise yourself when you were writing your book? Characters who took on lives of their own? Plot elements that took unexpected turns?

I think so because my writing is never planned and for me it works like taking an idea and then seeing where it goes.  Thanks for the interview.

Thanks for stopping by!

ABOUT FALLEN
Fallen takes the reader into the world of fallen angels and their desire for earthly women and
forbidden love.  Julie Anderson never wanted to leave her life and friends behind in Connecticut, but when her father gets a new job in Texas she discovers her destiny. When she meets the devilishly fallen angel, Nick Landers, her life begins to unravel. Julie finds that despite all her problems she can always count on her best friend Stephanie.They spend time talking about fashion, school gossip, and of course their crushes.  Julie falls for the mysterious Nick Landers while Stephanie loves the cute new boy Tyler Garrett.  Fallen is something you can get lost in but also relate to because above all it's about love.

LINKS


No comments:

Post a Comment