Thursday, April 12, 2018

I have a new book coming out!

Cat's finally out of the bag!! I feel like I've been sitting on this news forever... Thrilled to finally announce that my YA steampunk fantasy, STRONGER THAN A BRONZE DRAGON, will be coming your way next year from Page Street! 


It's been a head-spinning and unexpected journey so far, and I'm super excited to see where it takes me. This will be my first foray into the world of old-school traditional publishing.

STRONGER THAN A BRONZE DRAGON is the eighth full-length manuscript I wrote. I repeat, the EIGHTH. I wrote it early 2017 on a whim... usually, I take ages to plan and plot my books before I write the first word, but in this case, the book basically started writing itself two days after the idea popped into my head. I then spent months revising it with the help of my fantastic beta readers.

After it was in a condition I was happy with, I had to figure out what to do with it. By then, I'd been in the self-publishing world for a spell with BRAVE NEW GIRLS and STARSWEPT, and I'd walked away from my first agent earlier that year. Being my own publishing boss was fun. I hadn't quite decided whether I wanted to try for traditional publishing again or stick with indie.

Then September's #PitMad came about on Twitter. I didn't even realize it was happening until halfway through the day. On a whim, while rushing out of the office to grab lunch, I dashed off a Twitter pitch for the heck of it. Lo and behold, I had some interest! A few weeks later, I signed with my awesome agent, Dr. Uwe Stender of TriadaUS.

Next came more revisions, and then submissions. When Page Street made their offer, I web-stalked the heck out of 'em. I was super excited about how fast they were expanding -- they're among the fastest-growing small presses in the US. And the covers of their YA books are *gorgeous*.

I'm beyond excited to work with my editor, Lauren Knowles, and I can't wait to share this book with the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment