Tuesday, March 18, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Steven Vincent

Author Steven Vincent, author of Dawn of the Knight, talks about his latest writing venture.

 


Hi! Welcome back to Zigzag Timeline. What’s new since the last time you stopped by? 

Thanks for having me back, Mary. Everything is new; I've gone from fantasy to science fiction, and here I am writing tales of pirates on the high seas!

So, why pirates this time around? 

To be honest, I was just randomly struck by inspiration to write this book for the fun of it, and by the time I put the ending on I realized it was one of my best books so far!

How was writing Jollier Roger different from writing Dawn of the Knight? 

It was a lot more fun. Dawn of the Knight has such a serious and gripping story, whereas Jollier Roger is really a bunch of craziness that somehow forms a thrilling adventure.

What was the first idea you had for Jollier Roger, and how did the story grow from there? 

I had just finished watching At World's End, and as far as Pirates of the Caribbean goes the story was terrible. I started to plan out all sorts of scenes if I had produced the movie; sword fights, sea battles, ghosts, and just about everything rushed into my head in one morning! Then, I decided to make a book out of it.

Among your characters, who's your favorite? Could you please describe him/her? 

I think Captain James Roberts is my favorite. There is no way to put a finger on him; you might say he's a handsome young sociopath with a few screws loose, and yet as the story progresses you see he's right more than he's wrong. He's brash, but I think he means well.

What's your favorite scene from your novel? Could you please describe it? 

I think my personal favorite scene is when James Roberts is confronted by his former ladylove, who is out for revenge. The fight winds up on the rooftops of Port Royal, there's a fire spreading, and just when you think the flamboyant sword fighting can't get any more intense, his enemy receives some unexpected help from one of his own allies.

Did you ever surprise yourself when you were writing your book? Characters who took on lives of their own? Plot elements that took unexpected turns? 

The entire book surprised me, and I call it a gift from above that it turned out the way it did. Why? Because I started off knowing nothing about pirates, other than that I wanted to write about pirates! As I researched, things just fit right into place and I found myself just as surprised as my test audience. On top of that, the characters wound up so unique (and strange) that I never know what to expect.

Thanks for stopping by! 

Links:


Author Bio:

Steven M. Vincent is a writer of fantasy, science fiction, and sea adventures, born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Since 2008 he has been on a self-proclaimed mission to create unique and exciting stories that bring smiles and make memories, while also passing along what he's learned since then. He considers every day a gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment