Wednesday, September 21, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: S.C. Stokes

An interview with S.C. Stokes, author of A Coronation of Kings.

 


Hi! Welcome to Zigzag Timeline. Can you tell us about your background as an author?

Thanks for having me here! I have always loved to write, for many years I tinkered away on various projects but two years ago I decided to really get stuck in and finish my novels. It's been an adventure ever since.

What got you into writing?

The love of a good story. I like to hear them, love to read them and am now enjoying telling them myself.

What was the first idea you had for your book, and how did the story grow from there?

A little known fact is I had considered using a variation of the title, "Honour Among Thieves" for my first novel (A Coronation of Kings). I liked the concept of a devious society being put to a higher purpose. It is one of the prominent themes in my first novel, but the book has gone a little beyond it now as it looks at motivating influences on a variety of fantasy characters.

Among your characters, who's your favorite? Could you please describe him/her?

Syrion is probably my favourite, he is a well meaning but emotionally charged wizard with a penchant for pyromancy. He's no antihero but he has plenty of flaws. I probably enjoyed writing his scenes the most.

What's your favorite scene from your novel? Could you please describe it?

There are a few contenders. Perhaps my favourite is a battles scene between the aforementioned Syrion and a black dragon with a bad attitude. It was a blast to write. 

What's your favorite part of writing? Plotting? Describing scenes? Dialogue?

The thrill of telling the story. I like to engage people and keep them rumbling through it at a rollercoaster pace. I like to keep things happening on every page.

How long does it take you to write a book? Do you have a writing process, or do you wing it?

The better part of a year for a full length fantasy novel. Normally I draw the map and then craft a few plotpoints from there. Once I have a framework I just write seat-of-your-pants style until I am finished. Then I re-read it and make sure everything makes sense and joins together properly.

What is it about the genre you chose that appeals to you?

I love Fantasy, I always have, ever since reading Lord of The Rings and others I've been hooked. There is just something about the setting that draws me in and keeps me there.

Are there any books or writers that have had particular influence on you?

J.R Tolkien, Raymond E Feist and Matthew Reilly. I like to think or aspire to be a combination of the writing styles of Matthew Reilly and Raymond E Feist. Fantastic Fantasy at a Frantic pace is the motto I like to use to describe my work.

Did you ever surprise yourself when you were writing your book? Characters who took on lives of their own? Plot elements that took unexpected turns?

Quite a few. As I wrote I found that my heroes stayed true to many of my original thoughts but their foes evolved dramatically as the novel progressed. I didn't want to have one dimensional rivals, I found that each of them evolved as I wrote, particularly one of the feminine characters Hitomi grew far beyond my original scope for her character.  I'm excited to see the role she will play in future books.

Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for having me it's been great!

Author Bio

Many people love to read a great fantasy book. I love to live it! When I am not glued to my keyboard busily writing my next work, I can be found clad head to foot in armor, LARPing like a mad man. For those not familiar with the notion, LARP stands for Live Action Role Play where people get in costume and armor and fight over real life battlefields. It's action packed and amazing, which is exactly how I like to write.

In my work you will find yourself submerged in thrilling new fantasy worlds. Each coursing with conflict that transpires at an incredible pace. I draw on experiences from my life and time spent living in Australia, The U.S.A and Japan to enrich the narrative of my books and provide you a taste of familiarity, as you plunge headlong into a scintillating new world. 

If you enjoy my work, and I very much hope you will. Please take the time to connect with me via Amazon, Facebook or my website (www.samuelcstokes.com). I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Social Media Links 


Purchase Links

Amazon Link: 

Kobo:

Smashwords for any other format:


No comments:

Post a Comment