As 2018 comes to an end, everywhere I look I see year-end round-ups of the best things, of worst things, of things accomplished. And also of things anticipated for 2019. So I decided to do a round-up of my own stuff. Why not. Partly because I'm bored, and partly because I've had a supremely unproductive two months (can't tell if I'm burned out, worn out, or just in a funk), and boasting about the things I've actually gotten done seems like it could be therapeutic.
So, here's a list of writing-type things I accomplished in 2018:
- Had a story published in Mine! A Celebration of Liberty and Freedom for All Benefitting Planned Parenthood , a comic anthology from Comicmix. My first comic, y'all! More of a visual poem, in my mind (illustrated by Josh Siegel, who somehow turned my vague, abstract descriptions into some awesome art).
- Published my YA dark fantasy, Flynn Nightsider and the Edge of Evil, with Crazy 8 Press
- Finished writing, editing, and formatting Wayward Stars, the second book in my YA sci-fi series Starswept
- Published the audiobook version of Starswept
- Sold (and completed edits for) my YA steampunk fantasy, Stronger Than A Bronze Dragon
- Had a story published in Magic at Midnight, a YA anthology of fairy tale retellings from Snowy Wings Publishing
- Edited and published Brave New Girls: Tales of Heroines Who Hack, the third collection of YA sci-fi stories in our Brave New Girls anthology series about girls in STEM
- Had a story published in Tales of the Crimson Keep: Newly Renovated Edition from Crazy 8 Press
- Had a story published in They Keep Killing Glenn, an anthology from Crazy 8 Press
- Had a story published in Missing Pieces IX: Puzzles, an anthology by the authors of Gen Con's Authors Avenue
- Wrote two posts for the official Star Trek blog, one on female friendships and one on how I discovered the series
- Revised a YA contemporary fantasy manuscript and sent it to my agent
- Wrote a first draft of my YA sci-fi mystery (which is currently a disaster and the source of all my grief, but at least it exists?)
- Wrote a short story for Crazy 8 Press's 2019 anthology (to be announced!)
Hmm, okay, that was a lot. I actually had to go onto my own Amazon page and look some of this stuff up... I feel better now.
While I'm at it, here are my writing-type goals for 2019:
- Publish Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon (well, technically the publisher will publish it, but I'll be promoting the heck out of it!)
- Publish the fourth Brave New Girls anthology (subtitle to be announced!)
- Publish Wayward Stars in e-book and print (I mean, the work's all done and I'm just waiting for the copies to arrive from the printer, but there will be promoting to do) as well as audio (still have to get on that one)
- Publish a collection of shorts from the Flynn Nightsider universe starring Aurelia "the Firedragon" Sun (3 of them are already done... just need to write a 4th and compile the thing)
- Make my YA sci-fi mystery readable and send it to my agent
- Write the third and final book in the Starswept trilogy
- Write a horror novella (just because I have an idea for one)
- Decide which new full-length novel I'm writing next in case neither the contemporary fantasy nor the sci-fi mystery ends up selling
Sounds doable enough... right?